The Vulkan Fight Company was established in 2003. Since then, they have made their name as a producer of solid, durable, and lightweight Jiujitsu uniforms (GIs) that provide their users with comfortable and competition-like use. The Vulkan Fight Company’s mission states that they genuinely care more about their customers beyond than just profit. A lot of top distributors carry their brand and they also ship worldwide.
Also Read: This informative roundup of the top bjj gis
Table of Content
Best Vulkan GI
With a make that is uniquely Vulkan’s own, this Vulkan GI is made from strongly made honey comb weaved fabric and a rubberized lapel. True to the brand’s pride, this is one of the most lightweight ones that are out there on the market, even lighter than its own sibling, the Pro Light. You don’t have to worry about the material shrinking in the wash as they have gone ahead and pre-shrunk the material to keep it from shrinking on you. This is also field tested and IBJJF approved to guarantee its claims.
Why It’s So Popular:
- Weighs as low as 2.6 lbs
- Light and breathable
- Made from strong, durable, quality material of honey comb weaved fabric that is unique to the brand
- Dries faster
- Rubberized lapel dries quickly and prevents bacteria build up
- Made from pre-shrunk material
- Field tested
- IBJJF approved
- Great for training in hot environments and for use on hot summer days
- Excellent fit
Keep In Mind:
- Belts are sold separately
- A bit pricey because of the guaranteed quality
- Your size may be different than the standard size of other brands due to the pre-shrunk quality of the brand
- Sleeves and material become stretchy and ill-fitting when they are damp or wet, which can pose a problem when you sweat during training or competition
- Rubberized lapel is not as stiff as standard lapels, which provides comfort for the wearer but does less for protecting against chokes
- Non-standard pants adjustment
The Vulkan Pro Light is also made from the same material as the Ultra Light: honeycomb weaved fabric and a rubberized lapel. This sets the brand apart from their competitors in the market who use single, double, gold, pearl, or other types of weaves. The durable fabric is the reason why it is lightweight, while maintaining its soft and supple texture. The rubberized lapel prevents bacteria growth as it dries faster. Similar to the Ultra Light, the material has been pre-shrunk so you don’t have to worry about it shrinking when you wash it.
Why It’s So Popular:
- Weighs as low as 2.8 lbs
- Lightweight material makes it supple and breathable
- Perfect for competitions and hot days of training
- Dries quickly after washing
- Rubberized lapel prevents bacteria growth
- Pre-shrunk material guarantees that it will not shrink when you wash it
- Comfortable fit
- Soft material remains durable
Keep In Mind:
- Belts sold separately
- The lapels are of medium stiffness as compared to the standard stiffness of others
- Comfort can come at the price of not being able to provide similar support and protection than others, but it remains flexible
- A bit pricey due to the guaranteed quality that it provides
Difference Between the Two:
While for the most part these two Vulkan GIs are similar in make and every other aspect, the Ultra Light and PRO Light designs of Vulkan GI vary mainly in the lightness. The Vulkan Ultra Light is designed to be much lighter than PRO Light, weighing as low as 2.6 lbs. This is in contrast to Vulkan PRO Light’s 2.8 lbs.
This makes the Ultra Light much more beneficial in hot training or competition environments, but the PRO Light’s quality is closer to the standard BJJ GIs.
Another slight difference is the problem of the sleeves and the whole outfit becoming misshapen and stretchy when it gets damp with sweat or wet from the wash, which is a predominant problem in the Ultra Light design. While this problem also exists in the PRO Light design, it does not affect the wearer’s movements quite as much.
As for price, the Ultra Light is just a bit less pricey than the PRO Light. Otherwise though, both are a bit expensive as compared to their other counterparts due to the unique design and materials used. But in the end it’s worth the price because of the quality that they provide. That being said, these are not the most expensive ones on the market.
Vulkan GI balances comfort, style, and durability in its unique design and materials. Choose one that is best fit for your training environment, and sport style. Get the Vulkan GI that fits your body type as this can drastically affect your performance in your sport. Whether you choose the Ultra Light or the PRO Light, you can be sure that Vulkan will provide you with a lightweight one that is specially designed for your own comfort.